Thursday, February 17, 2011

Highly Recommended: Part 1

I've been wanting to write a post for a while now on different things I've learned and would recommend (or not recommend) to any pregnant woman out there. Here's what I've come up with...

Write.
Start a blog, write in a journal. Write somewhere about different things you are experiencing and thinking about during this time. You don't have to share it with anyone if you don't want to (though other women do appreciate your thoughts. You may find someone going through the same things you are). You (and your child) will appreciate looking back at those thoughts someday.

Drink up.
Water that is. I don't know if it's just me, but for the most part it has been the only beverage that sounds and tastes really good. I probably drink on average 4 - 32oz containers of it a day! But I did read that drinking lots of water helps keep swelling to a minimum and can be helpful in preventing stretch marks. I will attest to both of those. So far (3 and a half weeks to go) I haven't had any problems with swelling and have had no stretch marks.

Lotion up.
I highly recommend this if you are pregnant through the winter. Gold Bond Ultimate saved my skin! And get your husband to rub it on your back for you. (Maybe it's also helped to prevent stretch marks...who knows, maybe I just have good genes...)

Belly bands.
I found these to be great during early pregnancy (and will report on their usefulness post pregnancy) to keep you in your pre-maternity clothes longer. I loved these I found on Etsy.

Great bras.
Don't skimp on these. I hate dropping $40 for a good bra just like the rest of you, but you NEED good, make that GREAT support. I wish I would have found this bra earlier on in my pregnancy. Though it is a nursing bra, it is so comfortable and I would have saved money with not having to buy regular bras as my, lets say "figure", expanded. 

Leggings.
I am soooo glad these came back in style. Even if they go out, ladies, they are the best!

Sweat.
Though there were times throughout my pregnancy (first trimester morning sickness and now "I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy now folks, working out just probably isn't going to happen" stage) I absolutely LOVED this workout DVD

Body pillow.
So necessary. They have some fancy pregnancy ones that I'm sure are great. I just have a regular long one. Your husband may get jealous, but there is no way I'd make it through the night (especially now!) without wrapping my legs around that thing.

Amazon.com registry.
So Amazon already has an amazing assortment of pretty much any product you can think of (and at great prices) but they've also added this fancy shmancy "Add to Registry" button that allows you to add an item to your registry from ANY website you might be browsing. It's called their Universal Registry and it rocks! "Oh look how cute those handmade booties are on Etsy! How could I let Grandma know I'd love to have these for the baby?" Enter: magic "Add to Registry" button. Done. Oh and I also just signed up for Amazon Mom...free 2 day shipping on any products for up to a year (or more).

Tums.
At this point in my pregnancy they have been my dessert every evening. Heartburn conquered! 

Get out.
1) Garage sales. They are goldmines for finding great used baby gear and clothing as well as maternity clothes.
2) Neat Repeatz is an amazing resource we have in Lincoln. So much inventory of used maternity clothes, baby and children clothing, and every piece of baby gear and nursery decor you can think of. Tons of fun, too! They have this particular sale twice a year. The spring sale is coming up April 7-10. I will be there!
3) CircleME is another great local boutique and education resource we have right here in Lincoln. They have FREE classes on cloth diapering and baby wearing to name a couple. So even if you aren't sold on either of these concepts, you can go check out what they have to say for free. They also hold a "Re-Diaper Sale" several times throughout the year where local vendors of baby products as well as moms selling used baby items set up shop for you to get some great deals!
4) MilkWorks has been another great resource here in Lincoln (and I haven't even started breast feeding yet). They also offer a variety of classes not only on breast feeding but cloth diapering and baby wearing. You can purchase a "class pass" for $40.00 that gets you into any of the classes you'd like! There are plenty more I'm looking forward to going to after baby arrives including making your own baby food! Not to mention, their boutique, BabyWorks has some of the cutest and unique items for you and your baby. And MilkWorks is a non-profit so when you purchase items at their store, you are helping out a great organization that's been helping breast feeding women and their families for 10 years!

I know there are things I'm forgetting...I'll be sure to add them as I remember them. Any of you moms out there want to add any of your recommendations in the comments section please feel free! I have plenty of pregnant friends and family members right now that would love to hear what you have to say. Also, look forward to part two of this post, I hope to write about my recommendations during labor and the days following. 21 days to go!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome suggestions! Tums were also my best friend when I was pregnant. My heartburn went away immediately after my LO was born, so just hang in there! The belly band was great post-pregnancy too, but more so for when my regular jeans were still to tight to zip. LOVE the video of your LO moving around in your belly! My little guy did that too and I always had to stop in my tracks and just stare at my tummy! It just tickled me and my husband to see that. Good luck with everything and thanks for following Cool Modern Mama!

    ReplyDelete