Saturday, June 4, 2011

Back to the grind...

I'm enjoying my last weekend before heading back to work on Monday. I thank God that He's guided and provided for Justin and I financially to be just going back part time. And I am also tremendously thankful for my supportive boss and co-workers who are allowing this opportunity.

Before starting a family I never thought I'd want to be a stay-at-home mom. I've always loved working and interacting with people. Paychecks are nice and really never thought financially Justin and I would be in a place to consider it. My feelings drastically changed after our struggle with our first pregnancy loss. Through the complete sadness of what had been taken away from us, God showed me how important family is and how quickly time goes by. He showed me that money isn't everything and that ultimately I needed to trust in Him to provide.

Over the past two years, Justin and I have worked very hard on our budgeting practices. In less than two years we have paid off 2 cars and student loans and are now growing our savings. It hasn't been easy, but being able to take 12 weeks off work and then to go back part time has made it all worth it. The time that I've been able to devote to my darling Eloise has meant more to me than I ever could have imagined. And to top it off, we won't need any daycare! Justin and I have worked out our schedules to just swap baby duties. And Eloise's great-gran will get to see and play with Eloise one morning a week. I couldn't feel more blessed!

I would highly encourage any parent-to-be out there to really consider your situation. 1) Mothers, if at all possible, take full advantage of 12 weeks of maternity leave. If you haven't been a mother yet, you will not believe the changes your baby will go through in that short amount of time. I will be completely honest and say, the first 6 or so weeks of being a (nursing) mom were completely overwhelming and I'll admit, I was pretty much set that one child was enough. I can't imagine if I would have had to go back to work full time after that 6 weeks! But with Eloise now 11 weeks old, I can look back on the past 5 weeks and even today and see how far we have come together (sleep helps both of us) and to be so thankful that I've been able watch it all happen.

2) If there is any possible way for mom or dad to go back part time (or not at all!), consider it! The moments (or days) that I or Justin get stressed or frustrated or exhausted (or all of the above) I have to remind us that this is only a short time in our life. Someday in the not so distant future, we'll think to ourselves, "Gosh, remember when Eloise liked to cuddle? Or be rocked to sleep? Or heaven forbid, remember when she wore those cute diapers?" Parenting is a sacrifice, don't get me wrong, but I like to think of it so much more as an opportunity. An opportunity to raise, support, and love this child like no other. Our lives are but a blink. Love and family are so worth investing in while we are here.

I'm proud to know that sure, maybe there's no room in the budget for something shiny, but I'll never look back on this time and wish I did it differently. We are so happy. Blessed, and happy.

Oh, and here's some new pictures of Eloise. I'm sure there'd be some upset followers (and Grandmas!) out there if I didn't include these. : )

Pajama time with Daddy.

Tired baby.

My little ducky.

Sweet little toes.


Bubbles are her new talent.

Playtime!

Hangin with Papa Allen.



Hanging around with Grandma.


Cuddles with Gran.

Sweet time with Great Gran and Great-Great Aunt Marti.

No comments:

Post a Comment